Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The final stretch - a blessing

This week marks the eighth and final week of treatment which can be described as nothing other than a marathon of chemo & radiation therapy. All in all it has gone well and the time has passed without any big incident; albeit the side effects have been somewhat less than a walk through the park on a summer day. As such, I've been dark on the blog during the past several weeks as I haven't had too many positive things to say about the experience. I felt it best to put some time between me and it before chronicling.

One key ingredient during this tenuous time which helped me immensely is the time spent with friends. I made a concerted effort to have lunch/dinner, go for a walk, take in a museum, the market, tea, etc. each day of treatment with good friends. My good friend Danielle even came to town for a few days and her wonderful company accompanied by her epicurean delights were blissful.

This time spent with close friends was a true blessing and reminds me again how fortunate I am to have the people in my life that I do. It's very special indeed!

Another element which helped get through this treatment was meditation. I found that by meditating on my multitude of blessings, it guided me daily with a positive agenda thus creating less focus on the negative aspects of what my body was feeling and going through.

Top on my blessing list was my parents. I meditated over and over on how much they mean to me and how incredible they have been for me over the years and helped form the very fabric of who I am as a person. I prayed to God thanking him that they are who they are and how fortunate I am to have them as the key and guiding light through my journey on earth.

During one of my meditative prayers, God spoke to me that I was able to pick my folks in heaven before I came to live on earth. He stated that I had many to pick from and to pick well as they would be the only parents I'll ever have. I was not given a window on the future, only to look at them as humans and how they act and are as people on earth. They would be my decision to pick, not the other way around. So depending upon the life I wanted to lead on earth would depend a lot about how I made this decision.

Needless to say, this was a true revelation and one that became dogma throughout my meditation's. It opened all kinds of thoughts and self observations and ultimately put more accountability on me as to who I am and how I have lived my life; one without blame or self criticism. It was truly a BLESSING to come to this realization and one I doubt I would have ever come to had I not gone through several weeks of hell.

I highly recommend taking a moment from your day and meditate upon your blessings. You may be pleasantly surprised what comes before you. I know I was.

Wishing you many blessings in your world,

Randy

No comments: